Braille Beads: APH Starter Kit
Become bejeweled with braille! Make fun and educational jewelry with plastic braille beads!
Braille Beads are small, plastic rectangles that have braille on one side and incised print letters on the other side. Each bead has two holes through which wire or cord may be threaded. Also included are fun image bead manipulatives, such as flower, peace sign, heart, and circle. Braille Bead dimensions are 10mm tall x 8mm wide x 5mm deep (braille height is 0.52mm).
Making jewelry teaches students to:
• Plan (a design or a word)
• Organize materials (wire, cord, needles, scissors)
• Sort (shape, size, color)
• Practice fine motor skills (stringing beads, tying knots)
Most importantly, Braille Beads encourage creativity! Beading is an activity that children enjoy for arts and crafts, and adults enjoy for pleasure and employment. Braille Beads allow children who are visually impaired and blind to create personalized objects of art they can wear. They can take pride in their creations and just by wearing braille jewelry, children become ambassadors for braille!
Braille Beads: APH Starter Kit includes:
• Necklace, Bracelet, and Fob Assortment Pack
• Braille Beads Pack (red, yellow, blue, green, orange, pink, white, black)
• Pony Beads Pack (red, yellow, blue, green, orange, pink, white, black)
• Clear adhesive braille labels
• Bejeweled with Braille: Instructions for Making Braille Jewelry, Large Print, Braille, and on CD-ROM
Optional Braille Beading Tray with Jars
APH offers the Braille Beading Tray with Jars as a separate product. The tray and jars keep the beads organized while beading. The tray holds up to seven jars of Braille Beads. Each recessed circle that holds a jar of Braille Beads has a fluted space directly in front of it to hold the same color Pony beads. The tray has a workspace for placing beads and experimenting with designs before stringing them onto a cord or wire. This workspace has a beading mat to prevent the Pony beads from rolling. A smaller space on the right holds jewelry findings or tools for cutting elastic or bending wires.
Video: Watch an APH product video showing the Braille Beads Starter Kit in action!
WARNING: Choking Hazard--Small Parts. Not intended for children ages 5 and under without adult supervision.
- Age Range:
- 5 and Up