Building on Patterns: Prekindergarten: Student Kit
Building on Patterns (BOP) Prekindergarten is the first level of the second edition of BOP. BOP is a systematic, comprehensive, and balanced literacy program designed to teach young children (through second grade) with visual impairments to read and write using braille.
BOP Prekindergarten curriculum reflects best practices in braille literacy instruction, with lessons designed to build literacy skills related to listening, speaking, reading, and writing in preparation for kindergarten. It may be used as a stand-alone program, or can also supplement regular preschool curricula.
APH recommends that the print children's books and their braille transcriptions in the Student Kit stay with the student after using them during lessons to help them begin (or supplement) their own library. The print and braille books can also be sent home so family members can have their own interactive reading sessions with their child.
APH also highly recommends teachers use the electronic versions of the parent letters in order to tailor them to each student’s family. Note: the font for the braille with shadow dots used in the letters is available to download as well.
- Includes 28 instructional lessons, each paired with a children’s book and a tactile storybook that supports lesson concepts through activities that involve tracking, simple reading, and understanding tactile graphics.
- Each lessons begins with learning objectives, and then includes sections on the following:
- Print and Braille Teacher Kits are available.
For more information about the inclusive Building On Patterns program, please visit the BOP overview and resources pages at www.aph.org/building-on-patterns/.
BOP Pre-K Student Kit Includes:
- Parent booklet*
- Print Parent Letters (also available on the BOP Pre-K website)
- Preschool Teacher Booklet*
- Set of 27 Print Children’s Books
- Student Set of 28 Braille Children’s Books (includes one print-braille book)
- 28 Tactile Storybooks
- 4 Workbooks
- Worksheets Pack
- Manipulatives Pack
- Monitoring Charts and Reading Roundup Consumables (also available on the BOP Pre-K website)
*A braille ready file (.brf) of each of these items is available for free download from the APH Downloadable Manuals page: http://www.aph.org/manuals/.